So last year I did not participate in National Novel Writing Month due to a whirlwind of emotional and lodging issues stemming from the collapse of my relationship the month before the writing event started. It was the first time in five years that I had not attempted the 50,000 words in a month challenge.
This year, I am going to participate. However, in lieu of actually writing a novel last year, I decided to post a blog every day. And this year, I am going to try to do both. Yay overachiever!
To make things easier on myself, I’ve created this list of prompts, which I can ignore or follow as I choose because I like to keep my options open. So the daily posts will begin tomorrow with the start of the actual NaNoWriMo, but I wanted to also give anyone who’s interested a chance to write along with me. If you find my prompts interesting enough to write posts of your own, please share them with me 🙂
I also want to point out that this idea for making a list to stick to did come at least in part from the Blog-tember Challenge posted by Bailey Jean, which I attempted but never really committed to in September. So, major props to her for a great idea!
That said, many of my suggested prompts will be more oriented toward fiction-writing.
- We need a buddy to trek through this month with us. Sketch out your writing buddy. They could be based on an actual person or one of the voices in your head. Maybe you’re doing NaNoWrimo, and this is your story’s main character. Tell us about them.
- Next up is scene-setting. Describe a place, real or fictional, where you would like to live (and presumably write) for a year.
- What’s your go-to writing music?
- Music may be the food of the soul, but my stomach needs other nourishment. What’s your favorite meal ever?
- Yet man doth not live on bread alone. Describe the thing that gets you through your most difficult days.
- It’s distraction day. Pick a YouTube video and discuss it.
- My love of French is well-documented on this site. What’s your favorite language? Or if that sounds weird, what language would you really really like to learn?
- Pick a moment in your life where you made a life-changing decision. Imagine how your life would be different. Sugar coating and optimism are acceptable.
- Back to reality. Explain why your life is better now than in the make believe of yesterday.
- Let’s check in with our writing buddy. What’s he/she/it up to today?
- What is your number one inspiration for your art? This could be general for all of your art or specific to what you are working on now.
- Describe the place where you do most of your writing. And remember, the devil’s in the details, so let’s hunt him down like Waldo.
- While writing all day everyday sounds like fun, it’s not really practical. Burn out is real. So, what’s your favorite thing to do when not writing?
- What superhero would you want to be? OR what superpower would you like to have?
- Halfway there! Time for a modicum of celebration. Pick a theme for the party you’ll throw at the end of the month. Describe the food and décor and whatever else strikes your fancy. Pictures appreciated!
- To be a writer, it’s necessary to read. What are you reading now and is it any good?
- What’s the status on your NaNo? Are you falling behind, way ahead, or not participating?
- Let’s play kiss, marry, or kill with current events. Pick three things in the news and put each in a category.
- Describe your day/week/month in song lyrics.
- Why do we blog? This may be as difficult to explain as why we write in general, but give it a shot.
- Explain your writing buddy’s relationship status.
- Kids are weird. But they’re all weird in different ways. How were you a weird kid?
- New Year’s is still a bit away, but it never hurts to plan ahead. What’s a resolution you think you’ll make? Or do you even make resolutions?
- I majored in English, but I wanted to learn so many other things. If money was no issue, what subject(s) would you pursue degree(s) in?
- Getting closer to the finish, and by now it’s getting tougher. Or is it? Maybe you’re breezing through this bit. If so, what’s your secret? If it’s a struggle, how do you keep pushing on?
- Happy Thanksgiving! US bloggers: what does your family do (or not do) for this holiday? Non-US bloggers: If your country has a similar holiday, describe that for us.
- Black Friday. Let’s take a moment to commiserate with all the retail workers out there. Be strong my brothers and sisters. This too shall pass. Though, let’s be honest, the sales started yesterday. What would it take to get you to go Black Friday shopping?
- The Saturday after Thanksgiving means football in Oklahoma. Let’s talk sports. What do you play/watch?
- Christmas music has been playing in stores all month, but now it’s really time to prepare. What’s on your [insert appropriate holiday here] prep to-do list?
- You made it! Whether or not you participated in NaNoWriMo or my alternative blog thingie, you survived November. Mazel Tov! Now before that party you planned earlier this month takes off, one more blog prompt: Give me the ultimate cocktail/mocktail recipe.
So there it is. I hope some people decide to join me in this little jaunt, but either way I’ll be having fun. Allons-y!